During the past month industry leader Stina Carlsson Reich and I have been designing a 2 month part-time Business Transformation project for our Hyper Island MA students. As with all projects during the taught part of the MA Digital Management programme, it's split over two 3-day sessions. Here is a summary of our first 3-days.
About the Business Transformation Project – As digital technologies continue to disrupt every element of our lives, the effect that they have on the business world is massive. The birth and death rate of companies increases as old, established, slow corporations are ousted by young, agile startups.
In this highly-connected, culturally-fragmented, ever-changing world, what do businesses need to do to survive and thrive? What do modern businesses look like? What should they look like in the future?
In this project we explore the interplay between businesses, their customers and their markets, and focus on the changes that businesses need to make in order to create and sustain value for all stakeholders. We also learn how change is internalised and championed inside organisations, and strategies for overcoming the likely barriers that will arise.
Stina Carlsson Reich, Head of Business Design & Partner @ Doberman
2017 is the year Stina Carlsson Reich can look back and celebrate 20 years working with business transformation. It’s all about doing what she loves - designing digital experiences which improve our everyday lives.
Stina's passion for digital strategies started in Y2000 at Razorfish. Previously a Management Consultant in Strategy, resolving challenges at Ernst & Young and Cap Gemini with clients such as Telia and Ericsson.
Today as Head of Business Design & Partner at Experience Design Agency Doberman, some of the challenges include:
- Enabling teachers and students to play Minecraft to learn – with Mojang/Microsoft.
- Defining the future digital experiences for financial institutions - with SEB.
- Helping 250.000 Scandinavians reach their health and fitness goals – with SATS.
- Empowering children and their donors around the world – with SOS Children villages.
- Creating the future of insurances in a digital world - with Folksam.
- Transforming gaming experiences – with Betsson and ATG.
Guest speakers & facilitators
Martin Randler, Chief Digital Officer, Folksam
With experiences from TUI and Folksam, Martin shared his learnings on how to create lasting change, and what enables true transformation in the digital era. The students also recieved a challenging group brief.
Lisa Lindström, CEO, Doberman
Lisa Lindström is the CEO of Experience Design Firm Doberman with offices in Stockholm and New York and have been appointed Sweden's Service Innovator of the year and listed as one of the top 10 female leaders in Sweden. Lisa has been Senior Strategic Advisor for many of Doberman’s largest international clients through the years.
Lisa is chairman of the board of SVID, the Swedish Industrial Design Foundation and Utbildningsradion (UR).
Beyond this, Lisa is a popular speaker and workshop leader on strategic design and customer experience within organisational transformation and leadership.
Lisa's session included how to lead true transformation in our Customer Experience society; Inspiration what leadership skills will be required in leading digital transformation the next 10 years, from the first line to the boardroom. How does prototyping, purpose and user centricity affect leadership and culture? And much more.
Lydia Winters, Head of Brand, Mojang
Lydia's session outlined the experience in building the Minecraft experience first at Mojang and then at Mojang/MS.
Her talk included:
- Her key learnings in this journey.
- Thoughts on growing the Minecraft experience and business from game to education to a movie.
- Key learnings coming from a small very agile company into the world of Microsoft, focus on the strengths it has given, but also share key hurdles and how you overcome them.
- Pros and cons in 'small agile close to community' vs 'larger‘.
- Thoughts on leadership and culture as key driver in delivering exceptional experiences.
- Transformation based on staying close to users /players/community.
- Understanding expansion in value chain and the potential of brands.
- Perspectives on transformation in buy-outs.
- Leading one of the world's strongest brands.
- And more!
Malcolm Larri, Owner at Brave Personal Development / Head of Operations Coordinatum
Malcolm is a Master Practitioner of NLP and has been coaching people since 1997. He is also Head of Operations for an event management company conducting B2B events across Europe.
In his session, Managing Change & The Art of Pitching, Malcolm outlined the 3 fundamental elements of managing change and provided insights and skills on how pitch in the most influential way to get buy in on change, and lead people through the change process.